Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tort vs. Color - Round 1 -

I always hear the argument that the overall quality of the black tortoise holland lops is superior to color in general. Which may be true in some cases but that statement holds no ground in my rabbitry. Although blues have grown to be my ultimate favorite I do not seek one color over another. It happens to be that out of the 30 rabbits that make up my herd only two are torts. One solid and one broken. Not because I dislike the color but for the simple fact that out of the litters born here the color rabbits are always much nicer quality than the torts.
I brought this topic up because I recently had one of the rare torts pop up in a litter. Along side it was a broken cream and a blue. In a neighboring nest box there was a litter of two blues and a blue tort.
The kits are only five days old currently but assuming the little tort survives to the 4 week mark I would like to hold a friendly competition among he/she and one of the fellow color kits. I will post milestone photos every 2 weeks of them to compare. I will be pleasantly surprised if this little tort proves to be better than any of the others.