Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Great Outdoors

For someone who grew up in a small town in Vermont, living in Connecticut has been a culture shock so to speak. The words overdeveloped, overpopulated, and overpriced all come to mind when I think about this state. Having spent all but the last 8 years of my life surrounded by mountains and wilderness I took for granted what was in my own backyard. I've since gained a healthy respect for where I come from. At the time I didn't appreciate the landscape and mountains. I didn't appreciate the deafening sound of the peepers at night. I didn't appreciate the quaintness of my small hometown. I didn't appreciate having to make due with the limited selection of products available at the local mom and pop shops . . . until it wasn't there.

The town/city I currently live in is very urbanized with every amenity at arms length. It's the kind of place people go when they need to go into town shopping for the day. Not the ideal place to live. Picture a Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds on every street corner, stop lights as far as the eye can see, 25 grocery stores within a 5 mile radius, any and every retail store or restaurant you can think of.

We live on a small street tucked away amidst all the hustle and bustle, for the time being. There is talk of a neighborhood lumber company constructing a larger facility on what I'm convinced is that last piece of wooded land in this town/city. This piece of property is situated on what is currently the end of our dead end street. It also happens to be home to several friendly deer like this young doe I recently photographed from my backyard. She was completely oblivious to my presence and four excited children. A family of young raccoons like the one below that I photographed up a tree in my yard also call this neighborhood home. A mother and two babies have been spotted playing in a brook that runs through the woods. Surely the sights and sounds of yet another unnecessary construction project will have a negative impact on the future of this small but thriving Eco-system.


**The first photo in this sequence was taken in Woodford,VT