Monday, April 28, 2008

Cameras...Convenient...Rattlesnakes...Not So Much

I try to bring my camera everywhere with me and enjoy photographing everything from nature to live music concerts.


My family spends alot of time outdoors in the woods hiking and riding bicycles and it never fails that a camera comes in handy during these excursions. Last summer we were out for a bike ride and ahead of us were two women afraid of something just off the bike path in some brush. When we reached them they told us a huge snake had just slithered across the path in front of them. One of them pointed to something in a patch of leaves and upon closer inspection my husband revealed it was a Timber rattlesnake. Incredibly rare in the state of Connecticut, but there it was coiled up in an attempt to relax and enjoy some afternoon sunbathing.They say you can estimate the age by the number of rattles on the tail and if that is the case this one was approximately 12 years old.